|Internet User Agreement Form & Internet Parent/Guardian Permission|
MCPL believes that the valuable information available on the Internet and the global interaction presented by this network outweigh the negative aspects of inaccurate, incomplete, controversial or inappropriate information. It is the individual user’s responsibility to determine what is useable for their purpose. However, MCPL requires that sites accessed through the MCPL system (including wireless and laptop connection) do NOT contain offensive pictures or messages.
While using the Internet system at MCPL, keep in mind that this is a system for the public use of all patrons in Mercer County and cannot be used to take the place of an individual's private home or business system. (revised 04-2008)
SPECIFIC GUIDELINES THAT MUST BE FOLLOWED:
1. ANY Internet user must have A SIGNED Internet Agreement Policy; if under 18, policy must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
2. “Computer time” is checked out on the library card of an individual who is in “good standing” with MCPL and has a current Internet Agreement.
3. Offensive messages or pictures may not be displayed.
4. Damaging computers or computer systems, internally or externally, changing software configuration or hardware set-up is not permitted.
5. Copyright laws may not be violated.
6. There are no more than two (2) users at a station; each must have a signed current Internet Agreement.
7. The MCPL address or domain may not be used for any personal use.
8. ANY activity that would pose a security risk to the system will not be permitted.
9. Information may be temporarily saved to the desktop. These files will be discarded by the end of each day. To save documents or items longer than your session, a CD-ROM (either R or RW) or a USB (Flash, Travel, Thumb) drive.
10. A “Visitor’s Card” is available on a limited basis for non-residents of our service area.
VIOLATION OF THE ABOVE PROVISIONS WILL RESULT IN THE LOSS OF PRIVILEGE OF USE. FIRST OFFENSE WILL BE NOTED WITH A VERBAL WARNING AND A NOTICE ON USER’S RECORD. A SECOND OFFENSE WILL RESULT IN A LETTER NOTIFYING PATRON OF A THIRTY (30) DAY SUSPENSION FROM COMPUTER USE.
INTERNET USE BY A CHILD UNDER 18 YEARS OLD:
Before a child under the age of eighteen (18) can use the Internet services at MCPL, that child must have on file this User Agreement, signed by his/her parent. Notation will be made on his/her library computer registration and will be checked before each Internet use.
The same stipulations as mentioned above refer to children’s Internet use also; MCPL cannot censor a child’s use of the Internet. Therefore, it is strongly urged that each child have parental guidance when choosing to use the Internet. Further, should any child choose to use the Internet with another child, BOTH children must have this User Agreement signed by his/her parent or guardian on file at MCPL.
FOR PARENT OF A CHILD UNDER 18 YEARS OLD:
As the parent or legal guardian of the child signing above, I grant permission for him/her to access the Internet at the Mercer County Public Library . I understand that some materials on the Internet may be objectionable to our family, but I accept the responsibility for guidance of Internet use by my child to follow when he/she uses the Internet. I will not hold Mercer County Public Library responsible for what my child accesses on the Internet. I will further be responsible for my child’s proper use of the Library’s equipment.
FORM MUST BE SIGNED AT THE LIBRARY, WITNESSED BY A LIBRARY STAFF MEMBER
TO BE VALID.